“It Is Not The Job Of Search Engine Optimization To Make A Pig Fly. It Is The Job Of The SEO To Genetically Re-engineer The Web Site So It Becomes An Eagle.”
Whether you are just starting an internet business or have a website that needs to be reverse engineered, the process is similar.
There are three phases to SEO Ranking
Phase 1 – Keyword Research and Strategy
Research keywords and strategically place them On and Off Site.
Keywords are what people type into a browser to do a search query. Keyword Research is the cornerstone of internet marketing and Keyword Strategy the Rosetta stone.
DO NOT SKIP KEYWORD RESEARCH! Although tedious, keyword research will make a huge difference in getting traffic to a site.
On Site SEO begins when a site is created and often times this is where web designers fail, but in their defense they are usually hired to design a site, not make it SEO friendly. It looks great but what goes on behind the scenes makes a difference.
Content must be in HTML text format. Images, flash files, java applets, and other non-text content is virtually invisible to search engine spiders. Depending on whom you talk with, on-site SEO accounts for 5%-30% of traffic to a site. Largely it’s about the details not necessarily the aesthetics, although if people stay on the site viewing multiple pages, it definitely reflects in better rankings. And, remember to have keywords on site
Off Site SEO is about links from other sources to acquire visitors and rank well with the search engines. Essentially, off site SEO is about other sites linking to your internet business.
- Link to high quality sites
- Use keywords within anchor text, on and off site (anchor text is the blue clickable text in a hyperlink)
- Link to relevant sites
- Link to High PR sites
Be leery of backlinking services, many are link farms associated with spam; you’ll get links back to your site but the search engines may pass the site over due to being in a “bad neighborhood”.
Phase 2 – On Site SEO
Once keyword research has been done, keywords are used within the main site, blog, and squeeze page.
Main Site-usually referred to as the money site.
Blog-often setup separate from the main site so as not to “muddy” the main site. Blogs are used to disseminate information.
Squeeze page-ultimately, is for the simple purpose of acquiring an individuals email information. Offering a coupon, free ebook, etc. in exchange for someone’s information can increase the bottom line by 35%.
These can be separate or integrated on the Main Site.
Considerations for On Site SEO Ranking:
- Web Design-compliance to W3C web standards, assessing your site.
- Security and backup.
- Keyword density between 2% and 5% (first we play by the rules, then we break them.)
- Internal anchor text using keywords.
- One landing page per product.
- Implementing keywords in title tags, alt tags, H1-H3, and meta description.
- Well formed URLs. Google prefers dashes – to underscores _ in sub-page-names.html
- Site architecture, hierarchy of pages.
- Individual page structure.
- Site maps.
- Analytics, where is your traffic coming from? What is your bounce rate? What is your conversion rate?
- Videos to lower the bounce rate.
- Webmaster tools.
- Setting up a blog can help bring more traffic to the main site.
- Links to affiliations.
Above the fold-what people see before they scroll down (Are visitors staying on your site? Is your site relevant to the link that brought them to your site? Does your site convey the appropriate message for your industry?)
- Phone number on left. U.S. citizens read from left to right, also reference Google heat map. Reverse for China, Israel and all Arab countries.
- Opt in box. Studies have shown, if you increase your repeat business by 5% it will increase your bottom line profitability by 35%.
- Call to action. Offer visitors an ebook, coupons, special promotions, something free in exchange for their information.
- Icons linking to top social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, Digg) make it easy for visitors/customers to share information about your company.
- RSS feed. By registering your feeds with the search engines, news aggregators and feed directories you increase your search visibility.
- Aesthetics. Sometimes ugly sites convert more traffic, and/or the bounce rate is over three seconds due to people staying on the site. Very much like a train wreck, human response is to look. Most important, are people staying on your site and are they becoming customers?
You have 3 seconds to get a visitor’s attention or 90% of your “customers” have left your site!
But before we get carried away… this is a quote from the land of Osundo “Oz” Uzomaka “Pitfalls, The only thing I have to say is show me a page with perfect On Page SEO and zero Off Page SEO, and I’ll show you a page whose backside is about to be whipped big time!”
Phase 3 – Off Site SEO
Create a backlinking strategy to be Number 1 on the listings page.
Authority-whom you are associated with and who is talking about your company.
Content-is the content worth reading? Is it relevant? Are the search engines listing your business?
Anchor Text-using keywords within a page and off site.
Off Site SEO is like putting a flyer on a phone pole or a billboard in Times Square, it’s about getting your company name out there so people can find your site. The more links you get pointing to your site, the more popular you become.
Considerations for Off Site SEO Ranking:
- Directory submission (local and vertical)
- Anchor text with keywords linking to site
- Social bookmarking
- Social networking
- Blog with industry news, events, coupons, product information
- Forum discussion groups
- Press release syndication
- Internet advertising
- Banner marketing
- PPC-Pay Per Click
- Social interaction such as, comments, likes, subscribers, etc.
- Reputation management
- Copyright | Trademark
- Business Entities
- Search Engine Tools
External to the Internet
- Newspaper advertising
- Direct mail
- Phone book listings
- TV and radio promotion
- Trade shows
- Seminars and conference presentation
- Networking Groups
- Chamber of Commerce
Realistically, Search Engine Ranking takes time. Waiting to get on page one of the search engine results page can be frustrating.
To fully optimize getting traffic to a site requires:
- A plan
- Reliable resources
- Knowledge of how search engines operate
- Acquiring targeted backlinks
Being visible in the search engines is the bottom line for any site to succeed and serve its purpose, else it will be one among the billions of web pages going unnoticed everyday and useless to the company or person who designed it and for the purpose it was created.
Automation is key to SEO Ranking and Internet Marketing success and good resources can definitely speed up the process.
THE SUCCESS OF YOUR INTERNET MARKETING BUSINESS IS OUR BUSINESS.